Recent General Posts
Home Air Quality
Does your indoor air need a checkup?
Does the air quality in your home seem a little "off?" Here are some things to consider from the American Lung Association about air quality in your home:
- Is anyone smoking indoors?
- Can you see or smell mold or mildew?
- Is the humidity regularly above 50 percent?
- Are there leaks or standing water anywhere—kitchen, basement, attic?
- Are all fuel-burning appliances (gas stoves, water heaters, fireplaces) fully vented to the outdoors?
- Is there an attached garage or basement where cars, lawnmowers or motorcycles are stored?
- Are household chemicals, paints or solvents stored indoors or in an attached garage or basement?
- Have you recently remodeled or added new furniture, carpeting or painted?
- Do you use odor-masking chemicals or "air-freshening" devices?
- Has kitchen or food garbage been covered and removed?
- Have you used pesticides recently?
If you have an ongoing air quality issue, call SERVPRO of Eau Claire for further consultation. We have a staff of professionals, certified in all aspects of deodorization and microbial remediation who are Here to Help.
Keeping Your Home Safe While on Vacation
Keep your home safe from leaks and other dangers while on vacation
There is nothing more frightening than the thought of going on a summer vacation, returning home, and finding that your home has been robbed, vandalized or damaged.
Whether it’s a flooded basement, or even a faulty water heater, there is nothing more devastating than the thought of this unexpected property damage.
There are some ways to help minimize the risk. Here are a few ideas to help keep your home safe while you're away this summer:
Don’t make it obvious you are out of town or on vacation
- Try to arrange for a trusted neighbor to bring in your trash, mail and newspaper.
- Suspend your mail and newspaper until you return home.
- Setting a couple of lights on automatic timers can help lend the impression that someone is home.
- Leave a car parked in the driveway.
- Consider setting up an in-home or exterior security system. Some cameras operate on WIFI and are easily mounted in or outside the home. These systems can send notifications to your phone when motion is detected and some even have a two-way speaker or alarm to deter a person trying to enter your space.
- Help avoid major water damage by simply turning off your water before you leave.
- You may also drain your hot water heater to ensure no damage done from it.
- Turn off your central air unit prior to leaving to prevent leaks (or have it professionally inspected if you are unable to shut it down).
- Leave an extra key with a trusted neighbor—which will come in handy if, in the worst case scenario, there is a fire, flood, or some other issue that needs to be attended to before you return home.
- Unplug any unnecessary devices and appliances to help prevent electrical fires.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors prior to leaving.
- If safe to do so, turn off the gas to your home (consult a professional for more information)
- Close your interior doors; the UL Firefighter Safety Research Institute promotes closing doors to help prevent the spread of fire
Following these simple safety precautions could help you avoid a crisis or damage to your home.
If you need us we are here to help! SERVPRO of Eau Claire at (715) 834-3473.
Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer
Carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless and can kill in minutes - know the warning signs to keep your family safe
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but, at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide, or CO, is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane) burn incompletely.
According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning. It is estimated another 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups— including unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems— being more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.
An excess of CO, leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or idling cars left running in garages.
Taking some basic, precautionary steps can help eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Protect yourself by reviewing the following tips, provided by the United States Fire Administration:
- Have fuel burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional every year.
- Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
- Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice, or other materials.
- Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
- Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or the garage, even if the doors are open.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the home or business.
For more information on carbon monoxide and safety, click here to check out the US Fire Administration / FEMA website.
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialist can restore your Eau Claire area home
We are an IICRC Certified firm!
SERVPRO of Eau Claire is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Eau Claire
SERVPRO of Eau Claire specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
We're here to help! 715-834-3473
Use Us As A Resource!
You may know SERVPRO of Eau Claire as a MITIGATION and REMEDIATION service company, but did you know, among many other services, we also EDUCATE?
Not only do we offer CE CLASSES but we do LUNCH & LEARNS, 1 to 1's and offer our SOCIAL MEDIA and WEBSITE as a resource for anyone to use. You can always call SERVPRO of Eau Claire too!
We believe in giving back to the Chippewa Valley as much as we possibly can. Part of giving back is, continuing to educate our community. From commercial to residential concerns of remediation and mitigation, to community concerns. We try to cover and offer a wide variety of important issues that are of interest to the Chippewa Valley.
Recently, we held an Continuing Education Class for insurance agents. We covered topics of Ethics and also Restoring Contaminated Buildings. We also work with the insurance industry to help them educate their insured of the damages certain disasters can cause and the importance of certain types of insurance coverages to be addressed.
If you found this blog to be helpful and or interesting, please be sure to follow us on FACEBOOK at SERVPRO Eau Claire... on TWITTER @SERVPROEauClair ...ALINABLE at SERVPRO of Eau Claire .... our WEBSITE www.SERVPROeauclaire.com and our OFFICE PHONE NUMBER 715-834-3473. We look forward to talking and sharing with you!
Why SERVPRO of Eau Claire?
- Who is the biggest/best soda company in the US?
- Who is the largest US retailer?
- How about who is the largest real estate firm?
- Keller Williams
Now for the big question:
Who is the biggest/best Remediation company in the US? SERVPRO!
How do companies become the biggest and the best? It's easy, through hard work, going above and beyond what is expected, doing quality work, and taking care of customers.
When it comes to customers, SERVPRO of Eau Claire does everything possible to ensure our customers are happy and well taken care of. Recently the city of Eau Claire had a water main break and run into the sewer system, causing an entire neighborhood to have raw sewage and water flood their homes. SERVPRO of Eau Claire sprung into action. out of 48 homes affected, SERVPRO took care of 23. Check out what one of our satisfied customers had to say about their experience with SERVPRO of Eau Claire.
(5 star review)
by Joel L. - 3/22/2018
Early on Feb 27, 2018, a city sewer main backed up into our basement. We were one of over 50 affected homes, and got by "lucky" with only 7 inches of sewage in our finished basement. SERVPRO of EC was on site by 8 am and had the bulk of the cleanup done that day. Abbi & Sandy did a great job, and maintained a very professional manor throughout the day, eventhough they had more homes to get to after ours that day. Eve in the office kept us informed over the next week and the team completed the last few touch ups over the next week. I will not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Eau Claire in the future, they did a great job!. Thank you Abbi, Sandy & Eve.
Go to review on www.SERVPROofeauclaireviews.com
Listed on Testimonial Page
Another happy customer! If you would like to leave a review, simply click on the link above. We look forward to hearing from you!
What SERVPRO of Eau Claire can do for you!
As I mingle amongst the locals, I find most people know who or what SERVPRO of Eau Claire is, but they only are aware of a small part of the service that is offered. Beyond the Fire and Water Remidiation and Mitigation, we have a number of services, that include Mitigation, Remidiation, Cleaning, Education, and Community Service.
First, what the majority of people know about SERVPRO of Eau Claire, beyond the GREEN TEAM vehicles and the national commercials.
- Fire, Smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
- Mold Mitigation and Remidiation
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications
- Odor Identification and Deodorization
- Upholstery and Drapes: Wet or Dry Cleaning Methods
- Continiuing Education Classes
- Lunch and Learns
- Community Informational Classes
- Supporter and Fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwestern Wisconsin
- Military Supporter
As you can see, there is a lot that we can do for your family home or business. With over 1,700 franchises nation wide, there is literally NO JOB TOO BIG for SERVPRO. More locations means faster response times. Response time can save you or cost you thousands of dollars. Time is money.
If you have questions, or are interested in SERVPRO of Eau Claire's services, please call our office at 715-834-3473, find and follow us on Facebook @ SERVPRO Eau Claire, check out our website - www.SERVPROeauclaire.com
Emergency Kit Check List
Building an emergency kit shouldn't be that hard right? It seems everyone recommends home and business owners have an emergency kit, but when it comes to putting one together, there is a lack of resources to help put it together. SERVPRO of Eau Claire searched through available lists and found one that is the most complete.
Ready.gov suggests you have enough supplies for three days minimum. Below is a list of item s you may want to include in your kit.
- 3 day supply of non-perishable foods
- 1 gallon of water per person per day
- First-aid kit
- Any prescription medication taken, enough for at least 3 days
- Sleeping bags and/or blankets
- Hygiene products
- Fire extinguisher
- Extra Batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Change of Clothes
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Whistle to signal for help
- If you have pets, have pet supplies
- Infant formula and diapers for those with small children
- Important documents such as insurance policies, IDs, and bank records in a waterproof container
For more lists, and details on emergency preparedness, you can visit ready.gov or contact SERVPRO of Eau Claire and speak to a professional.
According to the National Weather Service, $2.84 million dollars of property damage was caused by the extreme cold in 2015. Even scarier? Fifty-three people died and three were injured because of the extreme cold during 2015.
There are two things to be mindful of during the extreme cold, Frostbite and Hypothermia. Frostbite is caused when your skin is exposed to extremely cold temperatures. Physical conditions to be aware of are, white or grayish-yellow skin, skin that feels unusually firm, or waxy numbness. Hypothermia is when your body temperature drops to an abnormally low temperature, caused from long exposure to cold weather. Signs of hypothermia include shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss, slurred speech, and drowsiness. If someone's body temp falls below 95 degrees (F), it's is important to seek immediate medical attention.
Seeing how this winter has been arctic blast of weather for weeks on end, it is vital you take some time and know the weather whenever you leave your home.
source for weather facts and terms come from ready.gov/winter-weather
Special Teams wins every time!
Chances are that if you are a Green Bay Packers fan, you are not used to being in this spot, out of the playoffs. You find yourself in an unfamiliar, uncomfortable predicament. If only you had that one missing piece. That one special player that could make everything better and win the big game. Everything would be great! You would be happy and looking forward to the next game. Now your football world is a disaster and your sports life has been turned upside down.
Unfortunately, unless you work in the management of the Green Bay Packers, there is nothing you can do to better the situation. All you can do is hope that next years team is the best and can come through when needed and win the big game.
Fortunately for you, when it comes to emergencies and disasters in your home or business, you have the power and control to call in the best every time! When you call SERVPRO of Eau Claire, you are calling the MVP or restoration and clean up services! From the moment you make the call, our experts will form a play that will be sure to score every time.
Just like your favorite NFL team, SERVPRO of Eau Claire has special teams too. From the Water and Fire team, to the Carpet and Air Duct cleaning team, or our Bio-hazard and Crime Scene teams, to the Storm teams, we will have the right play for every situation that comes our way! Heck we even have offensive and defensive coaches that will come to your business and help draw up an Emergency Ready Plan to make sure your disaster playbook will win the big game every time.
So when it is game time and you have an emergency or disaster, call on the MVP's with the special teams of SERVPRO of Eau Claire. Guaranteed to be the winning team every time!
SERVPRO® of Eau Claire Production Technician
Do you love helping people through difficult situations?
Then, don’t miss your chance to join our Franchise as a new Production Technician. In this position, you will be making a difference each and every day. We have a sincere drive toward the goal of helping make fire and water damage “Like it never even happened”!
Our Franchise is seeking someone who is comfortable working hard in challenging situations, enjoys meeting new people, has excellent communication skills, and is a serious multi-tasker. If you are self-motivated and have superb interpersonal skills, then you’ll thrive in this work environment. Are you highly dependable and super-excited about routinely exceeding expectations? Then you may be our perfect hero!
As a valued SERVPRO® Franchise employee, you will receive a competitive pay rate, with opportunity to learn and grow.
- Inventory and load the work vehicle with equipment, products, and supplies needed for each project.
- Maintain a clean and organized vehicle and clean equipment appearance.
- Prepare rooms/areas for work activities. Set up staging area and equipment for each project.
- Leave jobsite with a clean and orderly appearance.
- Perform production processes following SERVPRO® production guidelines per work order per crew chief directions.
- Ensure clear two-way communication with crew chief and other technicians (especially regarding customer needs and concerns).
- Perform end-of-day/end-of-job cleanup and breakdown. Leave jobsite with a clean and orderly appearance.
- Effective oral communication
- Basic math skills
- Experience in cleaning/restoration preferred
- High school diploma/GED
- IICRC certifications preferred
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds regularly, occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistance
- Ability to climb ladders, work at ceiling heights, work in tight spaces (e.g., crawls spaces, attics)
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to repetitively push/pull/lift/carry objects
- Ability to work with/around cleaning products/chemicals
- Ability to travel locally and out of state when necessary
- Ability to successfully complete a background check subject to applicable law
Based on experience, with possibility of overtime pay and increases based on merit.
TO APPLY: E-mail your resume and/or a brief description of work history to office@SERVPROeauclaire.com
SERVPRO® of Eau Claire is an EOE M/F/D/V employer