Keeping Your Home Safe While on Vacation
There is nothing more frightening than the thought of going on a summer vacation, returning home, and finding that your home has been robbed, vandalized or damaged.
Whether it’s a flooded basement, or even a faulty water heater, there is nothing more devastating than the thought of this unexpected property damage.
There are some ways to help minimize the risk. Here are a few ideas to help keep your home safe while you're away this summer:
Don’t make it obvious you are out of town or on vacation
- Try to arrange for a trusted neighbor to bring in your trash, mail and newspaper.
- Suspend your mail and newspaper until you return home.
- Setting a couple of lights on automatic timers can help lend the impression that someone is home.
- Leave a car parked in the driveway.
- Consider setting up an in-home or exterior security system. Some cameras operate on WIFI and are easily mounted in or outside the home. These systems can send notifications to your phone when motion is detected and some even have a two-way speaker or alarm to deter a person trying to enter your space.
- Help avoid major water damage by simply turning off your water before you leave.
- You may also drain your hot water heater to ensure no damage done from it.
- Turn off your central air unit prior to leaving to prevent leaks (or have it professionally inspected if you are unable to shut it down).
- Leave an extra key with a trusted neighbor—which will come in handy if, in the worst case scenario, there is a fire, flood, or some other issue that needs to be attended to before you return home.
- Unplug any unnecessary devices and appliances to help prevent electrical fires.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors prior to leaving.
- If safe to do so, turn off the gas to your home (consult a professional for more information)
- Close your interior doors; the UL Firefighter Safety Research Institute promotes closing doors to help prevent the spread of fire
Following these simple safety precautions could help you avoid a crisis or damage to your home.
If you need us we are here to help! SERVPRO of Eau Claire at (715) 834-3473.